- Reference: CR00628
- Location: Coventry
- Salary: £450 per day
- Job type: Interim (Temporary)
- Sector: Energy & Utilities, IT
- Date posted: 12/06/2012
We are currently recruiting for a Project Manager to manage and control the delivery of a number of IT Development projects (typically between 1 and 3). Delivery includes the implementation of projects into the Production environment and their successful transference into the Application Support Centre. It may also include training, process change and other activities required to support the adoption of the IT system by business colleagues. A Project Manager will be allocated to (and be assigned projects that relate to) Waste, Water, CR or the M&G areas.
• The overall aim is to create the maximum amount of value by delivering these projects to negotiated TCQ criteria.
Facilitate project planning and control the delivery, implementation and budget for one or more projects (typically between 1 and 3), totaling up to 15,000-mandays in size and £1M in value. Control includes the management of project risks, issues, assumptions and dependencies and the co-ordination of project workstreams, e.g., infrastructure delivery.
• Control the day-to-day activities required to deliver these projects to negotiated TCQ criteria by maintaining a Project and Stage plan and using a Product Backlog and Burndown charts, to demonstrate project output and progress.
• Follow relevant financial, governance, resourcing and reporting processes. The job holder should ensure that their projects comply with applicable 'Project Essentials' (as agreed with the Senior Project Manager) in order to achieve proportionate governance. The job holder also should produce regular Project Status Reports and progress updates so that the department has an overview of the portfolio of projects versus their negotiated TCQ criteria.
In order to succeed in this role it is expected that you will have:
• Have experience of managing and controlling the delivery of IT systems including the adoption of these systems by business colleagues.
• Be able to demonstrate an innovative approach to improving the timeliness, quality and the productivity of IT developments.
• Have strong knowledge of the end-to-end IT development process, from Vision to deployment, business adoption and support.
In order to succeed in this role it is expected that you will:
• You will be able to work collaboratively with other Project Managers, System Managers and business colleagues to arrive at the most satisfactory solution
• Facilitate production of an Integrated Estimate, define the project approach, design the project organisation and create Project and Stage plans. You will be able to set-up a Product Backlog and Burndown chart in order to demonstrate project output and productivity.
• Help customers to focus on the highest priority items and deliver the maximum amount of value within TCQ criteria. You will use empirical data to recommend whether a project should progress beyond a management stage boundary.
• Manage and mitigate/resolve risks and issues. By understanding current status and the estimate to complete you will be able to predict possible (and prevent actual) divergence from plan. You will be able to provide early warning to Senior Project Managers and where necessary collaborate in order to solve related issues.
• Monitor and control actual and estimated project costs on a weekly basis and update corporate systems with cost information on a monthly basis. You will be able to understand and explain any predicted variances to the previous estimate to complete and total project outturn. Critically, you will be able to develop options to minimise or reduce predicted overspends before they are realised and discuss these options with relevant stakeholders to arrive at the most satisfactory solution. Stakeholders should never be surprised by an actual overspend.
• Work collaboratively with third-party suppliers on either a resource augmentation or managed service basis and put the necessary controls in place to provide early warning that the third-party element is diverging from agreed TCQ criteria.
• Lead and motivate a Project Team, which may include members from a variety of IT and business functions and third-party suppliers.
• Understand the customer's perspective and aspire to delight the customer. You will be able to build and maintain high-quality relationships with business colleagues and stakeholders, including Senior Managers and Directors.
• Effectively influence, negotiate and communicate and provide a credible face of IT Development at Project Steering Groups.
• Innovative to improve the timeliness, quality and the productivity of deliveries and be able to extend this innovation beyond your own projects to the wider Project Centre area.
Have sound knowledge and experience of project methodologies like PRINCE 2 and SCRUM, or similar Agile/lean approaches for managing and controlling the delivery of IT systems.
Sorry, this job is no longer avialable.